Saturday, June 18, 2011

and the ugly...............



Alex was not a happy camper at school last week. Thursday was the worst. In tears when I went to pick him up, and cried all the way home. At home I took his shoes off, and he acted as if I was pulling off his feet. His shoes were hurting him. Too small? Too tight? A toe in the wrong place? I'm not sure, but the boy just needed to tell someone that his shoes were hurting him. His teacher tried changing environment, holding, hugging. Nothing worked. I try and wonder what it would be like if I had a pain, but I could not speak. People in my face hugging me, offering all the wrong things. So unbelievable frustrating, and I don't think that word quite covers it. This is the ugly side of non verbal. An email has been sent and a hurting picture will soon be in his book of communication. It is just simply unfair.

6 comments:

Jacqui said...

Oh Jessica! That is just so heartbreaking. Aaaahh I want to scream with frustration with you. Alex will soon find his voice - whether it be through signs, pictures, or some other way and that it won't be forever that he won't be able to express his needs. I know that that doesn't take the sting out of today's experience. Sending hugs to you and Alex.

Michelle said...

Oh, how I can so relate to this...

Sherry C said...

Yes I relate too Ashley had one of those day this year came home took of her AFOs and there was a big red mark they were put on way too tight after lunch one day. Non verbal totally unfair!!!

Following HIM said...

Oh my goodness! Non-verbal has it total downsides and this is one of them. I am so sorry he was in pain. Does he have parts of the body on his book of communication? My heart breaks for him.
{{you}}

Elyse

Christine said...

This post made me so sad. I completely understand. Hugs to both you and Alex!

Anonymous said...

:( poor little guy. non-verbal is so unfair. so often in the classroom, we try and solve the puzzle...it breaks my heart when we can't figure out what hurts or what is making my little ones cry. you can be sure next time one of my students cries and cries, his little shoes will be the first thing i take off and check.

hope his feet are feeling better!