Wednesday, April 13, 2011

When I grow up.

When I was 12 I wanted to be an FBI agent. Somewhere between boyfriends, heartbreak, and immaturity (darned those bad choices) I stopped thinking about what I wanted to be, and somehow just ended up in the radio broadcasting program at my community college. It sounded cool, but it certainly was not a dream. Not all was lost though, that is where I met my husband and best friend, and father of my boys, so not only can I announce a song in the right amount of time, but I have a awesome guy to show for it:) Then I went on to get my bachelors in social work, there wasn't much math, and I like to help people. Then I got pregnant, and decided I wanted to stay at home with my kids. Then I realized I needed my masters in social work to really be able to help people. Then Alex was born, and if you have been reading here long you know what happened next, so today I have officially decided to go back to school......(sigh) if only I had know what I wanted to be when I grew up when I was 18. It took hospital stays, learning a little bit of medical care, watching my son receive good, and well, bad care to decide that I would like to be a nurse when I grow up. However, since I am grown and already quite busy I can only commit to getting my CNA, an eight week course I will take this summer. Getting my RN will take more time and commitment than I am willing to take away from the boys, but for now I will be getting my CNA. Then I will get to work and actually get paid for it!!! I am more than excited to begin this new chapter! Oh, and I got my hair chopped off today too.

8 comments:

Finding Normal said...

Good for you for taking this step. Love the hair. I have an appointment next week for which I am seriously considering shedding a lot of hair!

Cindy said...

Congrats! I know your experiences will make you a GREAT nurse! Have fun with it...

Nicky said...

That's awesome Jessica. I really admire you taking on something so courageous. I too have thought about studying further seeing as I am at home anyhow...but keep finding one hundred and one excuses not to - like waiting until we get back to that "good place" with Sam...anyone got directions?

Seriously - well done! And your hair looks lovely, nothing like a bit of change and the promise of a new adventure to keep you going :)

Dragonfly29 said...

I like the new hair!! I often wonder what shorter hair would be like, but can't make the jump!

Congrats and Good Luck with the new adventure. I was able to take my CNA course while still in high school, and working in that field as a 17 year old was the greatest feeling.

Groceries said...

You can do it! I'll be here to help you along the way. Nursing school is hard, I won't lie, but you CAN do it - when you're ready! I have faith in you. And kudos to getting your CNA! P.S. Your hair is adorable! =)

Staci said...

Congrats on taking such a big step! After all the hands on learning you've had you'll make an awesome nurse I am sure!!!

Nikki said...

Wow, good for you! And best of luck. that is super exciting!

Nikki
www.madebynikki.blogspot.com

Sawyer said...

Your hair looks great!

It's so funny that it took having Alex for you to know what you wanted to do. I didn't know what I wanted to do until I had Sawyer and now I want to be a nurse as well! It's something I have been wanting to do for awhile now. Good luck! And maybe sometime you will see a similar blog post from me talking about going to school.