Thursday, August 19, 2010

Too proud to be offended.



I am not sure when it happened.

The stares used to bother me. The looks of pity. The children whispering about Alex when he "sings", and hoots his cares away.
When he was born and dying I actually thought to myself how soon can we fix those thumbs. I guess it was a visible sign that things weren't perfectly typical. Im not proud of that, but its the truth.
I see now, and I see this because I have the honor of having Alex, that perfectly typical was a myth to begin with.
Yes, I still am able to recognize the looks of pitty, and the whispers, but I am no longer burned. Maybe it was my problem to begin with?

Maybe it was around the time I wrote this, or maybe it just happened when I was surrounded by my RTS family. Really, I'm not sure when it happened, but I'm too proud of who Alex is to be offended by anyone else and their ignorance, or curiosity.

Alex is perfectly Alex, just like we are all perfectly who we are. I love each crooked thumb, I love his sense of humor, I adore his happy easy going ways. I see that he knows so much more than the tests say he does, sneaky bugger, and I love it!
I am so proud of you Alexander Pruitt!

Its nice in this place...........join me?

9 comments:

Alicia said...

I love this!! I am so happy you are too proud to be offended. Since we can't control others around us, we need to dig deep inside and change ourselves. That is all we have control over. So happy for you, friend!

I love Alex's crooked little thumbs. They are so Alex. So beautiful!!

Karen said...

What a great place to be. I follow several blogs of parents of kids with RTS and this isn't a universal feeling. I guess we all get to that place in our own time.

Alex is a beautiful child of God and he has something wonderful planned for him. I think his thumbs are cute as well.

Blessings to you and your family.

Kristi said...

Hey Jessica,
Catching up on my blogs after a long vacation. Congrats to Alex for his walking skills. And regarding this post I am with you. As I got the stares in the airport yesterday all I did was stare back with a smile. It feels good.

Jessica said...

I'm with you sister, we are at the same place.. I don't know how I got here either..

I use to explain Rach to everyone, even "the" cashier, but now its a whatever.. I think its also respect for Rach, she wouldn't want me telling everybody, everything about her..

Terri H-E said...

Snap!!! Glad you're here.

Tarah said...

I'm with you!

Katie said...

Smiles :-)

Cindy said...

Oh, is someone staring? I thought it was because I didn't comb my hair or my shoes don't match. Of course they're not staring at my cute daughter!

Jenn said...

I don't think I get to claim pride in this amazing creation... but maybe I'm claiming it anyway? His place in my heart has been huge since I started reading your blog... a LONG time ago.