Monday, February 8, 2010

Table for 2 please.

Last week Max had his first tastes of food, and wasn't too excited about it. See doesn't he look concerned? I have been wondering for weeks what it will be like to spoon feed two mouths, and the time is upon me. After some tongue "presses", and a little mouth stem, and spoon placement that I learned to do with Alex, and my cool therapy spoon from Cheri, Max lost his tongue thrust, and started to enjoy eating. Now, once in the morning and once in the evening, its table for two!

Aren't they adorable! Whats that? You cant see Max, hear Ill zoom in........









Better?



I have been pureeing food for Alex now for almost 2 years, he can handle chunks of certain things but meats, most veggies, and most fruits have to be pureed. He does well with mashed banana, carrots, potato, bites of nutrugrain bar, graham gold fish, and of course his mini marsh mellow. Alex is improving all the time with his eating, you just have to look back about every six months to see the improvement. Click here to see how it took Alex an entire day to eat a nutrigrain bar, and now he can down one in one meal! Now I have two happy, eating mouths to feed. I have a feeling Max will be feeding himself before Alex, so I know this stage isn't for long, but if they are happy, and not refluxing, and throwing everything back up which for some unknown reason Alex has been doing lately, I am happy! Not uncommon when he is congested, but he isn't, and sometimes, after he eats, in fact right after he eats, out it comes (sigh)......






the thought of making my own baby food with Noah and Joel, honestly was intimidating, and I though who has the time?!?! It is so, so easy, and way better nutritionally than store bought baby food. Store bought baby food is flavored water!
Max's favorite so far is pear mixed with banana and cereal. Want to know how I make my own baby food click here!

Alex eats anything we feed him: Sloppy Jo, BBQ chicken, Roast with potato and carrots, Chili, fruits, veggies. He is a great eater, it just has to be smooth for the most part.



Here is some yummy avocado and banana mix...................





This is my freezer right now, and that is just the front row of food cubes..............





Eating is fun! Here are the mouths to prove it!






MMMMM, MMMMMMM, Good!









9 comments:

Kelly said...

What a great feeding post. How do you do it, Mckmama? :)

Wonderful pictures of two precious boys!

Kelly

The VW's said...

What cute little mouths!!!

Groceries said...

All that hard work, the cutest boys I know, homemade baby food, AND a clean house. I envy you! =)

Brandi said...

Healthy food = healthy babies! I love the picture of Max in his seat! He needs a booster for his booster! Too cute.

Avocado is Nathan's favorite food. I haven't tried mixing it with banana before. Guess what he will get for lunch today? Thanks for the idea!

connie said...

Oh, I should've known how you'd be using some "freed-up time." :) We are lucky to get 2 baby food feedings in a day, and I just decided to go back to the pureed stages simply because that way I don't have to puree it, just stir in some liquids to make it go easily in the tube. SO, then reading "baby food is just flavored water," and reading all the foods you give Alex AND seeing just the plain old magic bullet, I'm wondering what my excuse really is going to be? Seriously? That is the blender you are using for roast beef?? Chili? If you tell me yes, then you know I have no excuses. I still have a great love for your pretty frozen food cubes. I wish I had something like that in my freezer. Oh, wait ... no I don't! Because you already know what i have in my freezer!!! :)

Dani said...

I have two to feed to. It is fun trying to remember whos spoon is whos but our youngest has started feeding her self and I was surprised that Noelle (our RTS girl) is not wanting to be left behind and has started trying to feed herself still a work in progress but she is trying.
Good luck
And your a super mom in my book!! Clean house baby food maker your wonderful.
dani

Kristina--Picky Tots said...

Jessica,
Great post! I love my Magic Bullet :) I use it in therapy with kids of all ages and I use it at home all the time! I was happy to hear that Cheri and her clinic uses it too and is just as excited about it...nice to find people that can relate to something as simple (yet brilliant) as a great little food processor! www.wholesomebabyfoods.com is also a great homemade baby food website!

Finding Normal said...

I'm so intrigued by the link to Food Chaining. I had no idea! Are you seeing these gals regularly? We just started monthly feeding sessions at Children's, and it's going well so far.
Does the book give ideas for g-tube kids? Addison isn't necessarily aversive to food, but she'd rather drink from her little straw cup. It's like a novelty. Even when I make it fun and let her play, she doesn't seem to eat much. The SLP told me to quit worrying about her eating and just let her enjoy it, but that part of my brain that hates a mess and seeing food just get thrown away gets skeevish with this whole feeding therapy thing.
Anyway--I put the book in my amazon cart--do you think I could benefit from it?
Sorry for the book!

Cathy said...

I love your post.. Cute pictures and so much to learn. Am I jealous that both are eating, sure I am. I guess I do miss that part. You have some mighty handsome boys!