Friday, January 15, 2010

One of those feeding posts....

Alex has made leaps and bounds when it comes to eating, its just really, really slow. In July when we were in Colorado, it took him all day to eat an entire nutrigrain bar because the process of chewing and swallowing food that wasn't pureed was hard. Now he can eat the entire bar in 5 minutes, but he still cant handle foods that don't melt in his mouth without a little gag or cough when it goes down. Still we are pushing him, and moving forward ever so slowly. A while back I decided to give Alex a mini marsh mellow, and I gave it to him on the floor because history has shown us that we throw food we touch in the highchair, and eat food off the floor. So I placed the billowy goodness on the floor, and he partook, and again, and again. He loves marsh mellows, it was in fact the only food he would gladly put into his mouth, without smashing or throwing. He will not feed himself cereal, nutrigrain bar, nothing but the marsh mellow. Until one day......



he spied one of his brothers Reece's peanut butter cups on the table. I watched him as he curiously eyed the chocolate goodness, wondering what he would do, I unwrapped it and cut it in half, and left him to his own devices.......



He indulged......


and he liked! In total he ate 3 Reece's peanut butter cups. He chewed, he fed himself, I was so excited!!!!! (look at that lip closer!)



Until his ears grew bright red, he started to itch his tummy, his ears started to swell, big red splotches, otherwise known as hives started around his mouth, descending down his trunk, and even onto his legs. I gave him benadryl, still however in denial, I called his nutritionist hoping what I already knew was just paranoia filling my head.
Alex is in fact allergic to peanut butter. Why not, we needed there to be another obstacle thrown into out feeding journey. Its what makes it so much fun.
So props to you buddy, your doing well.





We are proud of you....Sorry about the peanut butter.


*blurry pictures=cell phone camera
*fuzzy hair=my dry house is as a Van der graf
*(italic) = sarcasm

7 comments:

Cindy said...

It's nice he got to enjoy THREE peanut butter cups before you realized he was allergic! I feel sorry for Lukas that he doesn't get to enjoy Reese's (I LOVE them), but he doesn't mind. Now you just have to go to See's Candy for the chocolate-chocolate cups! ;)

Malinda said...

Maybe he would like the chocolate covered marshmellow candy even better. I do!

The VW's said...

Keep up the great job of eating Alex! Sorry that you can't have anymore peanutbutter cups! :(

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your new blog design and the picture of your 4 Things! Adorable!!!

Christine said...

Ahhhh! I feel your frustration Jessica! Why eh? Why must there always be that one more barrier. Alyssa is allergic to peanuts so I totally get it!
By the Way- I LOVE YOUR NEW BLOG PAGE!!! It's awesome!
Miss you friend...

Christine

Sawyer said...

Love your new blog page, it's adorable.

What a bummer about the peanut butter, at least he got to enjoy some. I pray for the day that Sawyer will be able to chew and swallow something besides the puree foods. I agree, the process is slow.

Jacqui said...

Oh dear!! How excited you must have been in that moment - that is a wonderful achievement, and then the next realising another challenge. But still let us celebrate the eating - that is so good.

I also love love your new blog page and I love the pic at the top with your 4 precious "things"

Kelly said...

Great progress Alex! Love the pic of him eyeing up the peanut butter cup. Sucks that he has an allergy to something he will eat!! I will have to try the marshmellows with Max. Kelly F