Thursday, September 3, 2009

To be cut on or Not to be cut on, that is the question....


So a few months ago I was talking with my doctor about having a c-section or vbac (vaginal birth after c-section). She said I am a good candidate to do either. So I get to choose......Hmmmmm......??????? I cant. I figure I have lots of time, and secretly hope I just go into labor before I have to choose. I don't want to have surgery, I don't want a long recovery. I don't want the risk of blood clots, leading to death. I also firmly believe that babies need to be squeezed out, many babies have breathing issues after a c-section because the change in environment was so extreme, and their little lungs were not squeezed as they were born. As many of you know, I'm not one who wants to risk breathing issues. So the risks are greater for mothers and babies in c-sections vs a vaginal delivery, and as many of you may know, I'm not in the mood for risk.

I also was considering the fact that Adam only has two days off work until January 1st. So the benefit of a c-section is planning, having help, and using the long labor day weekend to our advantage. I have a c-section on the calendar for THIS Friday. Yes, that is tomorrow. My doctor says I can cancel the day of, in fact up to 10:00 in the morning, and I am truly considering that. I DON'T WANT TO BE CUT ON. I DO WANT FRIDAY TO BE THE DAY. you see the problem.

So I have 24 hours to make a decision. Any thoguhts?

23 comments:

Alicia said...

Wow girlfriend, what a dilemma!

I don't have much experience in this area, at least definitely not as much as you! I had a c-sect. and had absolutely no complications (for me of course, Marissa was an entirely different story as we know!). I healed very nicely with very little pain or discomfort. But that's just me.

I wish I could help you make this decision. I know maximizing days off is important. Is any family planning on staying with you for a while to help you out? I wish I was closer so I could help you.

I don't know what to tell you. I guess just go with what your gut tells you (no pun intended!) I am praying for you and excited to see this new little one!

Ashley said...

If you aren't comfortable with having the c-section, I say don't have it. You need to be totally at peace with what ever your decision is! WIshing you all the best!!!

Anonymous said...

Jessica,
If the doctor says you are okay to have a vaginal birth, that should help you determine what is best. You can't let a more convenient time dominate what you should do. Eliminate the convenience of timing and then evaluate the best course of action. Just a thought.
Love you, Aunt Mary

Anonymous said...

If it were me, I would have the C-section. But, from everything you said, it sounds like you're leaning towards the vaginal birth. If the only thing holding you back is timing, then you should go with your instincts and do things the natural way.

Anonymous said...

Based on what you wrote, you should go with the vbac. Even if this baby doesn't come at the "ideal" time, you will make it work. It might be more challenging with the limits of Adam's schedule but you WILL make it work.

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

It doesn't sound at all like you are comfortable scheduling the c/section. I would cancel it. I had a VBAC with my Peanut, and it was the best experience I could have asked for. Like you, I truly feel that being squeezed out helps clear their lungs and prepare them for breathing.

I would go with what your heart tells you, which is clearly not to schedule surgery.

Alice said...

The chances of complications, meaning more days off and you needing extra help from your husband, are much greater with a c-section than with a vaginal birth. If your doctor is giving you the option I would totally run with it and wait for that baby to come out on it's own. I also believe it's really best for labor to begin on it's own even if you are going to have a c-section because that means your body and the baby's body have communicated and decided that everything for birth is right.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

The VW's said...

I totally thought that you were talking about your hair at first! (Should I cut it or not?) This would be a much easier decision!

I don't know what to tell you! You do sound fearful of the c-section though. But, being able to plan is a great option as well.

I've never had a c-section, so I really don't have any thoughts on this, except that whatever choice you make, WILL be the best option. I'll be praying! HUGS!

lovinsanta said...

I to thought it was a hair question...too funny! I had to have an emergency c-section with my daughter (1st), and wanted so badly to have a VBAC with my second. However, I chose the c-section and have NEVER regretted the decision. It was the easiest recovery, heck those at the hospital thought I had a vaginal the way I was moving. However, we know things are different for everyone so I think you have to be at peace with YOUR decision.

I also believe that complications can arise with both vaginal and c-section deliveries...it is ultimately in Gods hands. I have seen blood clots and complications with both and my sister works for a OB/GYN, and says the same thing.

Holly said...

OH, that's a hard one. I say let nature take it's course. It will work out in the end, you just have to have faith that He knows what is best. hang in there, you are almost there and babay Michael Jackson Prince Blanket will be here soon!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica-
If you need, I can take a day or two off and give you help. While I am not a good sub for Adam, I am pretty handy around kids, (and hey...I cook *and* clean).
Just let me know via email jhrundell@sbcglobal.net
Love you,
-julie

Anonymous said...

What about being induced? Could that be an option for you? Then you could some what have a time planned but still a vaginal birth. Just a thought as I read your post.

Danielle

Jessica mommy to Alex/ RTS said...

Thanks everyone for your comments! Keep em coming! My doctor won't induce after a csection. It's harder on the uterus.

momof4 said...

I say go with your gut, I mean your instints. If it was me I would wait and have him or her vaginaly.

Dani said...

I would wait. You dont sound all that excited about the C-Section so dont do it.
I wish I could come help you.
One thing I did before I had our third was make some meals and freeze them so I did not have to worry about cooking a full meal. Just set it out in the morning and by five it was ready to be popped in the oven or microwave. It was a life saver.

Kelly said...

Thanks for posting a pic of you...been missing you!!

I just want you to be happy...I think waiting for nature to take it's course will make you happier. So just have the baby naturally...TONIGHT!!

Kelly

ourbobmarley said...

If it's labor you want do it the old fashioned way.... Castor Oil. It has long been an effective, inexpensive, & safe method to induce labor. God Bless!

angie said...

I had c-sections with both of mine....where I live they won't do VBAC's because we are too far away from a bigger hospital if something were to go wrong....you know...the OB is also the vet here (HA! just kidding:). However, if I would have had the option I definitely would have chosen the VBAC.

With that said....my 2nd c-section healed MUCH faster than my 1st. I don't know if it's because Em was my first and there was so much stress or what, but healing with Owen was a piece of cake:).

I'd say go with what feels right. It really sounds like you are leaning more toward VBAC. So, I'll leave you with a little cheer:

Push HER out Push HER out WAAAAYYYYY out:)!!!!!

Ha! Maybe you'll laugh so hard that you'll go into labor???

I can't wait to hear that the baby is here! I love living vicariously through my internet friends:).

Jessica said...

I'm and L&D nurse (who found your blog through someone else's) and I say that if you've had a successful vaginal birth before, do the VBAC. Your body will remember what to do and in the long run you and the baby will be better off. I hope you have a wonderful birth experience whatever you choose to do and a healthy baby!

Michelle said...

Pray and have peace, Jessica. Sounds like you are answering your own question. I will pray for you. While I have not had a c-section, I have had several abdominal surgeries and it was hard for me to recover with small kids. I know you are in misery, everyone is at this stage...will pray pray pray for you!

Tarah said...

Can they induce you?

This is a hard decision, I say maybe do the VBAC. But maybe as I am typing this late at night you are in labor? Just sending out the vibe.

Whatever decision you make, I know it will be the right one. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I had a crash c-section with my first daughter due to severe fetal distress. My second daughter was born via VBAC. I can highly reccommend the VBAC.
I went into labor on my own with the VBAC, but I also went into the labor with one thought. I wanted to try to my best ability for the VBAC, but told the OB that if at anytime during my labor he felt my daughter was in danger, that I wanted the repeat C-section.
Knowing this, I was at total peace with my choice of VBAC.
When it comes down to it, the most important decision is the one that you feel the most comfortable with. If your OB feels that either birth choice is OK, just go with what puts the most peace in your heart.

Hailey said...

Just read this right now... this morning. 11am EST. What did you decide?