Saturday, August 15, 2009

A feeding update

Most babies get their first taste of milk soon after they are born, not you Alex, you went straight to the NICU, and the first thing in your mouth was a vent tube, not a bottle. Your intestines were malrotated so we couldn't even fill your tummy with milk through a feeding tube, I hated knowing your tummy was empty, even though there were bigger mountains to climb, a mamma always wants her babies tummy full. Little did I know it would be four weeks before you could have any milk in your tummy. Finally we came home from the hospital, and after a fight with aspiration pneumonia you no longer could suck from a bottle, all your milk was given to you through your tube, but we were happy to have you home!
We soon realized your eating problem would be a longer battle than we had hoped so you got a permanent feeding tube in your belly. From 2 months old to 6 months old your little taste buds didnt get to enjoy any tastes, but then in March you got your first little tastes of food. Just a tiny dot of banana baby food, but you really seemed to like it!


As time went on more and more food went into your mouth, and you swallowed it like a pro!


On Wednesday your nutritionist came and decided that you were eating SOOOO much by mouth that we could cut back on your peptamin jr through the tube, and keep you growing by the food you are eating by mouth!!!!!! So your peptamin jr has almost been cut in half! You eat almost anything we eat, minus dairy of course, and yes much of it is pureed. You can make a nutrigrain bar disappear in a morning, and you love your chocolate chip mini muffins! You are gaining weight, and getting tall! Yes, you still have a feeding tube, yes much of your food is still pureed, no you really aren't drinking more than half an ounce a day, but all I have to do is remember how far you have come, and I am THRILLED!!







14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just look what the Lord has done!
Every good and perfect gift comes from above. God's workmanship is progressing in you, Alex! Wonderful report!

Brandi said...

Wow! That is incredible!!! Whoohoo for Mommy too! Less Peptamin means less less time with the tube. I'm happy for both of you.

Our Journey said...

go alex!!! you are doing so good and looking great!! cant wait to hear more about your journey - you are such a trooper!!

Christine said...

REALLY? So great. What a miracle! I'm so happy for you but especially for Alex. That kid amazes me. Way to go Alex. I am so proud of you

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a long way you have come, Alex. Step by step you are getting stronger. Good job!

Kristi said...

I am thrilled for you too Alex. you are such a big boy now. Noah loves nutrigrain bars too ..

Food Chaining said...

That's my boy!!!!

Hilary said...

Yeah!!! :)

Finding Normal said...

Amazing. Every SINGLE day our kids amaze me. Now tell me all of your secrets. I hold back with the feeding stuff because I'm afraid she'll choke. She gets lots of purees, but I need someone to tell me how to do cookies and muffins and bars.

Myssie said...

Way to go Alex! That is awesome news!!

trista said...

Yay for Alex! And yay for chocolate chip muffins...YUM!

Alicia said...

Wow, that is just AWESOME!!! Congratulations on this big step!

The VW's said...

Great job Alex!!! Keep it up sweet boy! I'm so happy for you Jessica! HUGS!!

Cindy said...

Great job Alex...AND it's staying down, which is another huge accomplishment from the early months. I'm so glad you're feeding so well...it definitely makes everything nicer.