Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Pledge!



r-word.orgTake the pledge, change the way you talk. RESPECT those who are differently abled. Grow up! There are lots of ways I can say it. I'm asking you to stop saying things like "that's retarded", "your retarded", "I'm retarded", or "look at those retards". This isn't a word the world just gets to throw around and miss use. This is a word that the medical world uses to describe my baby, and my dearest friends children. Its not a word you get to use when you mess up, when you don't like something, or when you see someone different than you.




Today I pledge to stand up for Alex when I hear someone use the R word in front of me, I'm not going to let it go, I'm not going to tolerate it. I pledge to be respectful, but I will not stand by anymore, its too important. Change will only happen if we do something. Help me out by taking the pledge and dropping this word from your vocabulary!






Take the pledge today!!!!! Change, It matters.


As Teri said on her perfectly written post today, let Alex know you have his back and leave a comment below!

20 comments:

Terri H-E said...

I got your back, Alex.

Myssie said...

Shown' some Alex LOVE!!!!

Molly said...

I don't know how you can look at that sweet smiling face and not have this little man's back!!! What a special boy you have!!

Jason and Vanessa said...

I did it! We love you Alex!

Marissa said...

Glad to stand by you Jessica.

I got your back sweet Alex!

Alicia

Hilary said...

Got your back Alex!! :)

Josh, Carley and Kaitlyn said...

Hi. I saw your comment on MckMama's blog and I thought I'd come over and say HI. I have a little miracle too! Kaitlyn is my 18 month old daughter who was born with Agenesis of the Corpus Collosum & tetralogy of fallot! I saw the pictures of your son's Mic-Key, feeding pump, etc. I know all too well about all that stuff!!

Tena said...

We got your back Alex!!

Brandi said...

I'm with ya Bird!

Jesse in Boston said...

I am taking the pledge!! Here's to you, Alex!

Finding Normal said...

You know Sis is with the Bird.
Standing up for it is the hardest part. My neighbor has said it more than once about inanimate objects in front of me, and I have yet to think of a way to tell her, without crying, how offensive it is. :/

Anonymous said...

iam taking th e pledge , and standing up for alex the cutest little boy i have ever seen...i can say that i only have girls... from melanie in canada

mom2LEAA said...

got your back Alex, thanks for the adorable picture.
Cindy

Anonymous said...

I'm in. Love you, Alex.

Aunt Mary

Hope said...

We have your back, Alex=)

Betsy McK said...

I've got your back Alex!

Anonymous said...

Long time reader, first time poster! Just wanted you to know we have Alex's back. Signed the petition and would do it a dozen times more if I could.

Love, Lisa in NY

Sara said...

Alex,

I have your back and as a middle school teacher I promise that each one of my students will leave me knowing that the R-word is NOT acceptable.

Proud to call you "friend!"

Sara

Kenzie said...

Girl, you know that I'm late in getting here to comment (read it before but geeeesh) but I would have been the FIRST ONE on the list!! Committing to this for Alex and in sweet memory of my Maddox :)

Love you girl!

Stacey said...

I happened onto your blog but "Alex I got your back" This is not a word that I have ever used but vow to never let my now two year old triplets enter their vocab, I promise! My understanding of a promise is to take it to your grave, and that I will do.