Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I can't believe it!!!!

Our nutritionist had told us last visit that instead of giving Alex juice in his cup we should be giving him what he needs to drink, being the peptamin jr. That makes sense, if our goal is for him to drink on his own he needs to drink what makes him grow, not empty calories in juice. So I had a few cans of vanilla peptamin jr, so I gave him some in his sippy cup, and for the first time he was interested in it. I didn't go crazy with it because I wasn't sure if it was thick enough for him to safely swallow, so I waited to see Cheri. So we get to Cheri, and he downs his taco meat in under 15 minutes, then we bring out the sippy cup! He wanted it! He loved it! Cheri says it is about nectar consistency so we don't have to add simply thick to it. Then Cheri got out her nosey cup, a little cup that has a dip in one side do you can see Alex's mouth, and be in control of what he is getting. Cheri thinks that Alex drank from his mouth mind you about 10cc's, almost half an ounce. Alex hasn't had this much since he took the bottle at 2 months old! We are taking giant steps in the eating drinking department! I am thrilled. I was so concerned that I wasn't doing enough, other kids with RTS are getting e-stim, and it just isn't available in our area, I thought how in the world are we going to move forward, he isn't interested, he has reflux, it was a vicious circle that only time could take us out of. Cheri assured me that Alex didn't need e-stim, and I let go of the idea of it.
We are here, he gets it, he is interested, he wants it. We are on our way! Sippy cup


The nosey cup








Swallowing!!!


Show off!!!




22 comments:

Staci said...

So awesome! Alex is getting ready to be a big brother so I guess he figured he'd better get this stuff down so he can teach his baby brother or sister how to do it :) Great Job Alex...

Sallie said...

WooHoo! So glad to hear that great report!

Marissa said...

WOW, SO AWESOME!!! Way to go Alex! Eating is fun!

Alicia

Misty Rice-Baniewicz said...

Way to go big boy.....keep that up.

Following Him said...

What a big brother...you will be drinking more in no time...yay Alex!
~Elyse~

Laurie in Ca. said...

BLESS HIS LITTLE HEART!!! Way to go and I am so proud of him and feeling so blessed for you. Is it just me, or is this little boy moving forward by leaps and bounds? This is so good.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

connie said...

You know, he really IS a little bit of a show-off! I'm so proud of him. He needs to show us - thanks for sharing the great pictures.

Mama SeWELL said...

Yeah for Alex! Thats such great news!

boltefamily said...

YAY! Way to go Alex you are always amazing us! And by the way...could you get any cuter!? I am thinking NOT! :-) I am sure you will amaze us there too!

The VW's said...

Keep on showing off Alex! Awesome!

Brandi said...

You are such a big boy! Alex, you always give me hope for Nathan. You teach me a lot about patience and perseverance. You have the best mama in the world! Give her a hug for me.

Finding Normal said...

YAY Alex! We have a nosey cup too. All of our sippies tend to just leak all over when she drinks out of them, which is actually more biting than sucking. Although since I've let her just to a bottle, the sucking has improved. So maybe I should try the sippies again. See...now I'm worrying about my kid after reading what your kid is doing. Why do we do that to ourselves? LOL

Lacey said...

He is so cute. Those Blue eyes are beautiful.

Ally in Wonderland said...

WAHOO!!! I love nosey-cups, I think the shape is fun, even if it is incredibly functional.

Way to go Alex!!

Cindy said...

That's great news, Jessica! I know you've been working with him a lot on what you could give him, and he's "getting it"!

MeghatronsMom said...

That is BEYOND awesome! I am so happy for him & you!

Mandy said...

AWESOME!!

Kelly said...

Taco meat! One ounce from a cup! TACO MEAT! He is doing great! Keep up the good work!! Kelly F

Sawyer said...

Wahoo big boy! Keep it up, you are doing great :)

Jodes said...

Wow kiddo you're doing great! It won't be long till your Momma is complaining that you're eating her out of house and home ;o) Keep it up!

Melanie said...

YES!!! isn't it great. He's doing great! Take pride in the small steps, he'll still get to where he needs to be!!

YIPEE!!

Cheri said...

Our PreChaining program worked all that time to invest in the skills he needed to get to this level. Now we established a foundation before moving to the Nosey cup and we are doing so with caution. I am using it as a skill builder but he did very, very well. It can give too much flow and be an aspiration risk, so need to be careful with it...but still...Wow did he do great. I am so, so proud of him. If Jen the RD will let us, we will add cheese sauce to his taco meat! That is my boy! Love, Cheri