Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Oral aversions, oral hygeine, and a little bed head...

When Alex came home from the NICU, he would gag when his cheek was touched. Getting anything into his mouth besides the bottle and his "b" was just not happening. Then after his aspiration pneumonia in November 2007, he lost the bottle, I was so scared of losing any oral skill that I gave him his"b" when he would be tube fed, but around 7 months he gave up his "b" as well. I was sure that we were going to lose all oral skills, and desires. Alex did tolerate a spoon, but he never really liked it, and still gagged when certain things touched his cheek. Now of course he wants the spoon, phew.....Check! However, hes got about 15+ teeth in his mouth, and for the longest time I have been brushing them with a washcloth wrapped around my finger. He hated any sort of brush near his face. I was shopping a while ago, and there were these mechanical toothbrushes on sale for like 3 dollars. Since Alex loves his vibrating star toy, I wondered if he would like the feeling of the mechanical brush, with him in control of course............and he surprised me. sometimes with no hands! This boy has got some skills!

and sometimes he made his classic aversion face........

and yes, he preferred the side without the brush.....(he likes to bang things on his top teeth)



but he has made it a long way!






13 comments:

Terri H-E said...

He looks like such a big boy! Addie loves her Shrek spinning toothbrush, too. Not a ton of actual brushing going on, but it's a start. She lets us get the business part of it done as long as she has control after.

Nice job, Alex. See you in a matter of weeks!

The VW's said...

You are too cute Alex!!!

Gavin HATES having his teeth brushed! I doubt that an electric toothbrush would make him like it any better, but it may make it easier on me. Why didn't I think of this?! You are so smart Jessica!

Following Him said...

YAHOO for A-L-E-X!!! I am so proud.
~Elyse~

Kelly said...

OMG! He looks so grown up. . . he is really taking on the big brother role! Super cute! Glad he likes his toothbrush and the spoon. Maybe I should let Max be in more control. He hates his toothbrush. He likes to be in control of his eating though. He never wants a spoon involved when he is eating. He likes to use his fingers. Kelly F

Marissa said...

Love the bedhead!

Awesome job with the toothbrush big boy!

Finding Normal said...

I've been thinking about gettind one for Addison, but I wasn't sure it would fit in her mouth. I borrowed Noah's the other day, and it did fit. Sort of. I just need to put it on the Target list as I've been twice and NOT gotten one yet!
Super cute pictures!

Ally in Wonderland said...

Yay Alex!!! I think I have the same toothbrush! :)

Kristi said...

Good job Alex. When I saw your post about short femurs, anxiety attacks and passing out on ultrasound tables I thought I had written it. I just had my ultrasound and passing out almost happened. I was so scared and yes I know too much too.. I didn't want to go .. I have another one in a couple of weeks and I'm scared again. But you are strong Jessica. If I can make it you can do it too

Alexis said...

I've followed Alex's blog for awhile now, but never commented, so I just wanted to say hi. Alex is adorable, and getting to be such a big boy! Praying for him!

Sawyer said...

Oh my goodness he looks so cute, he is getting so big too. Way to go big boy, you keep brushing your teeth :)

Tena said...

Ok that aversion face is JUST like me brushing teeth now that I'm pregnant. HATE IT!!!!!!

Kelly said...

AnnaKate and Alex look like twins with the aversion face...I see it a lot!!

Kelly

connie said...

Now that's just MEAN, showing me this! Mallorie has such oral aversion, and we use an electric toothbrush like that ... it's tolerable some days for her, and not for others. Yeah, I'm jealous. How are you getting so far with this stuff? (What am I doing wrong?)