Thursday, January 29, 2009

Nothing in return.


Most moms don't realize the simple reactions they get from their kids, sure they see the cute ones, or the bad ones, but to every action we give our kids, they have a reaction, most of these go un noticed. That is until you have a child who doesn't smile, or doesn't talk, or doesn't react at all. Caring for a child who gives nothing back, no hugs, no thank yous, not even eye contact is one of the hardest things for a parent to endure. We don't realize how much we enjoy these small reactions, these precious bits of communication most mothers aren't denied.

I notice every little reaction Alex gives to me, he smiles, he laughs, and then sometimes he wont look me in the eye, sometimes he shakes his head from side to side, and I don't get a reaction. I'm so grateful for the reactions I get, I'm so thankful that Alex will continue to progress, slow as it may be, he will continue to move forward, and I am so grateful for this. I will continue to notice, and be blessed by every little reaction I get.......Start to notice your little ones reactions, be thankful, and my goodness don't ever complain about your healthy kids!



All day I took care of you, I got you up and dressed, sat you in your chair, and helped you look your best. I gave your medication, brushed your soft hair, tried to make you smile, even though you seem unaware.

All day, I take the time to care for you, without a smile back. No thanks mom, or even a hug, these are all things that we lack.

I took the time to lift you, so you can see new things, sing songs, read you books hoping that it brings a sparkle to your eye, a crack in your smile, they say it may never come or it may take a long, long while.

Some think your life is worthless because you don't walk or talk. I know what you continue to give with the love your simple presence has brought.

You give each day purpose, even though each day is the same. I love you my precious child and that will never change. -Jessica Pruitt 2009


10 comments:

Kelly said...

I have learned more about myself because of parenting AnnaKate. You really have to dig deep to enjoy it all when nothing comes back in return.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful poem.
Kelly

The VW's said...

Very touching! And, oh so true! Great! I'm crying and it's only 7:30 in in the morning! Good tears though! Thanks Jessica!

Kelly said...

Beautiful. You say things so well.

I loved my first hug from Max and now he is giving them to me all the time. I even ask for them now. He is such a lover. Worth the wait, which makes them extra special. Kelly F

boltefamily said...

Praising God for Alex. He sure knew what He was doing when He chose you to be his mommy! You guys are awesome.

Mandy said...

Thank you for sharing and thank you for the reminder. I am so blessed and I never ever want to forget that.

Finding Normal said...

So true! Addison has recently started kissing me, which means she turns my face and licks/bites my cheek or mouth. Slobber everywhere. And I love it!

Marissa said...

Beautiful.

Even with all the challenges Marissa faces, she does react relatively normally to things. I cherish every smile, giggle, belly laugh, every cry and tantrum. (ok, maybe not EVERY one of those! :) I am reminded every day to count our blessings because of all out there who do not have these abilities.

Thank you Jessica for this beautiful reminder.

Alicia

The Peacock's said...

Beautifully said.

Hope said...

This post is beautiful, made me teary. Thank you for reminding me of the small things I sometimes overlook.

Following Him said...

Well done...totally agree :)
~Elyse~