Monday, January 12, 2009

I should have knocked on wood

UPDATE!!!!
So it looks as though this is viral, this morning the congestion set in, and for a virus it is typical for a fever to run high then the "cold" symptoms to come in a few days later. The doctor said that since his right ear doesn't look perfect he will keep Alex on the antibiotics, but it is probably viral. This morning besides waking up crying and early Alex has been pretty normal, but again he is on Motrin, it wears off at 2:00 we will see how things are then. If Alex is still running a fever on Wednesday we go back to the doctor. Thanks for your prayers, and thinking of bird. I feel like I am doing so good with all this you know "syndrome stuff", then when I cant make him better or wonder what is about to happen to upset our lives once more I really start to feel overwhelmed, and wish for that old typical life that was so much easier, but then we wouldn't all have bird now would we.
So much for that up swing I was soooo happy about. We are low, infact maybe we have even fallen off the swing all together.

Alex's fever reached 103.2 on Saturday, he woke up with 101 on Sunday. He had his ears looked at on Saturday night but had been crying so of course they were red. We started him on antibiotic Sunday morning. Fever again Sunday night and very fussy.

I don't think my mouth can take anymore fingers in it. If I have him, his fingers are in my mouth. He has been almost unable to calm at times. I hate to think we are giving him antibiotic for something viral, but after 2 days of high fever, I got scared and wanted to try.

Tomorrow morning I'm calling his doctor to get him in asap......I hope its ears, or a virus, something that will run its course. When he's crying and I see his little ribs when he takes a breath I wonder, is he pulling when he breathes, does he sound hoarse from all the crying or is it strider. He does have calm moments, about an hour after the Motrin kicks in, so I wouldn't think pneumonia with these calm times. I do know its possible.

15 comments:

Jacqui said...

HUGS. I hate that feeling of being unsure as to what is wrong with one's child. I hope the doctor can find the cause of Alex's misery. Strength to YOU!!!

Mandy said...

Oh no! I hope he's better soon! It's so hard to not know what's wrong!

Kaleena said...

Hello! I just started reading your blog this past week when i found it on another momma's blog. I wanted to let you know that I am praying for Alex. He is such a beautiful little guy! I know that these unsure moments (when he's sick and you don't really know what's causing the fever) are hard on mom too. I will also being praying for extra strength for you! Please keep us posted on how he's doing.
*smiles*
Kaleena

Hope said...

I'm sorry he's sick. I hope it's easily fixed too. You are both in my T&P today.

(as for the pulling b/c he's crying/is he hoarse or is it stridor?, I could have written that word for word some days! I feel your pain there. It's so scary when they get that upset. They aren't great breathers on their best days, right?)

(((Hugs)))
Hope

Laurie in Ca. said...

I won't knock on wood Jessica, but I am knocking on heavens door for Alex to get well, and soon. I am so sorry this little guy is feeling so badly right now and for you to have to worry. Praying for you both and answers from the doctors today. This picture of him is so sweet and grown up.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

TCM said...

Oh widdo guy! Im so sorry!!!! How are you holding up? Thinking of you... home today... call me!

Cathy said...

Praying for some good Motrin moments. I am hoping it is something that will just run its course, also.

Hilary said...

Get better soon!!! that is soo horrible

Marissa said...

Praying that it is not serious and that he can get over this quickly.

Hugs

Alicia

Rebecca Jo said...

Oh no.... I'm praying his fever is gone now that I'm reading this...

hang in there!!!

Rebekah said...

Just wanted you to know that I've been thinking of you too... Hope the little man is soon on the mend!

Kelly said...

Yuck...AnnaKate is sick too. A nasty intestinal bug...so you know what that means. Horrible diapers and even worse diaper rash.
I hope the bird is better soon...I HATE high fevers.

Kelly W.

Myssie said...

I hope that Bird get better soon. I will be praying for the little guy!

The VW's said...

Get better soon Alex!!! Mommas don't like it when their little "birds" are sick! Gavin is feeling rotten too. You both seem to always get sick around the same time...hmm? Anyway, I pray that you feel better real soon!

Sara said...

It is always hard when our babies are sick......your feelings are normal. I pray that Alex is feeling better soon so you can swing high again.

God bless,
Sara