Thursday, December 18, 2008

"b"

In the NICU, once Alex was off the vent for good, and I was able to hold him. I stuck my pinkie in his mouth curious to see if he had lost his suck. After all he hadn't sucked on anything since he was born (3 weeks). To my surprise he sucked away. So then we tried a "b" and he sucked like a champ. Wasn't quite as good with the bottle, there was alot more work for him with the swallowing and breathing thing, but he loved his "b". He always used a green NICU "b", but I found this one in my silverware drawer, and gave it to him as we were tube feeding in his high chair, thinking he could just play with it. I think he likes it. Not sure if this is good or bad??? Cheri? The mom part of me says its good, anything oral for an adversive eater is good. The fact that he is 15 months old says its probably not a good thing to start. I think he is cute either way........





9 comments:

Food Chaining said...

It is fine. Just another chewy, mouthing toy. We just won't let him become addicted. ;)

Michelle said...

Jessica, our docs say it's good..(lillian is a paci addict) helps them with the suck-swallow thing...she did say maybe only giving it to her in bed or when eating though...we're pretty much there...Lillian just turned two. It's so funny, though, I was thinking the same thing with her, none of my other girls had one that long!

Marissa said...

I think its great. I wish Marissa would use (or even play with) hers.

Good job Alex!

Alicia

Karalyn said...

Definitely cute either way. Alex is so adorable- I just want to hug and squeeze him!

Christine said...

Nathan is 21/2yrs old and I make sure i have one around all the time. Especially around feedings and bedtime.
I agree with Michelle, it keeps the suck swallow thing going. his swallowing OT told me to keep it going. So i am.
Alex is cute with it.
How did you get to calling it a "b"? Hope you don't mind me asking, i just find these things facinating.

Christine

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

Our doctors are always telling me to try binkies with my Peanut. Anything that gets oral motors going is great! :)

Pinkalicious said...

It IS cute either way and I tend to agree that it is doing more good than harm. :)

Hugs, Sara

Our Journey said...

I sooo wish Frankie would take one!! He stopped after his Fundo - when was 11 months old. Oh how I miss that thing! I still try every once in a while to get him to take it but he wont :(

The Peacock's said...

Man, I never got to experience all of the glory a "b" could bring. From birth Sawyer has refused to take a binky. I don't think there is anything wrong with getting Alex to take a "b" now. I think he looks so stinkin cute with it in his mouth :).