Monday, December 22, 2008

Al-x-mas cheer, ICU smile, hanging hope, "Hugs from Alex"

The anticipation is building!!!!! The ornaments are counted, the tags have been placed on the ornaments with care.....I leave at 8:00 tomorrow morning, my dad is driving me because the snow will be falling. We should arrive to the NICU doors around 10.
My awesome friend Kari and I worked together to make the tags, tie them on, and triple count them to make sure we had enough. While I had about 30 ornaments as a back up just in case I didnt have enough donated, I get to save them for next year!!!! I had 64 ornaments donated!!!! This doesnt include the 60 angesl my mother inlaw sewed together.....124 ornaments!! Can you believe it!!!????!! Yes, you can because you donated! Thank you, thank you, thank you! So many of you, in fact most of you I dont know, I have never met, and you still took the time to pick out, pay for, package up, and send to me for my first annual Al-x-mas cheer, ICU smile, hanging hope, hugs from Alex ornament delivery to the Cardinal Glennon NICU.
There are 60 beds in the NICU, but I will take a few extra just in case.
My ornaments from trees of the past, and any left over from this year will be ready and waiting for Chirstmas 2009's delivery.
My anticipation is building, and I cant wait to love on some mommas. You made this first "Hugs From Alex" trip possible! Thank you so much.......more to come. (Dont forget to vote on a name for the annual NICU trip)



























11 comments:

Jacqui said...

I am so thrilled that you got so much support for your ornaments. I think it is a fantastic idea. I am praying that each mom and kiddie who receive it also receive the thoughts and prayers that have gone into this process. That they will know they are not alone. That someone is thinking of them. Well done for doing this - it really highlights the meaning of christmas. Let us know how it all works out.

Kelly said...

Yeah!! I am so proud of you for organizing such a special gift. You are the best!! Think of how happy you are going to make these families...I wish someone had done this for you when Alex was in NICU.

Can't wait to hear how the day went!
Kelly

Marissa said...

Oh Jessica, that is so AWESOME!! It brought tears to my eyes to read how many ornaments were donated and then see the pictures. What a blessing! You have started something this year that will be a light in the dark for so many families, now and in the future.

I love that picture of you hugging the ornaments. You are too cute!

I will be praying for a safe trip and a wonderful time loving on some mommas (and daddies too!) Have a great time and I'll be looking forward to hearing and seeing all about it.

God Bless You,

Alicia

Finding Normal said...

Okay, you are seriously too cute. With your big grin and your sassy hair. I just love it! You are glowing, and I'm so so so glad that this is adding to your holiday this year. What a labor of love, and I know those mamas are going to love meeting you and seeing the hope in your smile. I always hope that it'll get easier for new moms the way it did for me, no matter what their kid's needs are. Just for it to be easier so they can find Peace. I wish I'd had someone to lift me up 2 Christmases ago, and I love that you took the time to do this.

Anyway, congrats, girlfriend. Safe travels! :)

Michelle said...

Wow, that is amazing! What a great way to bless someone who you don't even know!

The VW's said...

Have fun delivering your gifts and love! We delivered our packages last week, but were not able to pass them out ourselves. :( They didn't want to spread germs to the patients in the PICU, which I totally understand! We still enjoyed ourselves and feel very blessed that we were able to do it!

Merry Christmas!

Kristi said...

Good luck tomorrow. You look so happy in those pictures. Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Jessica,

It sounds like it's going to be a wonderful time! God bless you and your family and friends for doing this...and send all those families lots of love and hugs from Blogland. What you are doing embodies Christmas for me. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

J. in OH

Holly said...

That is wonderful! You will make their day. There's no way for me to reach out and give you a hug for everything you have taught me about special children and myself, but I wish I could.
Holly

Kelly said...

WOW!! You are amazing! You are going to brighten lots of people's holiday! Max was in the NICU around the holidays and a former NICU family came in with little piglet stuffed animals with a little saying attached and I thought it was so thoughtful! Have a great holiday! Kelly F

TCM said...

Wow girlfriend! This is an amazing thing and you are an amazing momma! Merry Christmas!