Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Making baby food

At the request of my friend Connie, I am writing a post on how I make baby food.
When Alex's nutritionist told me that processed baby food has little to no nutritional value because it is so watered down, I made my mind up to make Alex's food.

This is the blender I use, I love it!





Here is the taco meat and beans that I pureed a few nights ago, then poured into ice trays to freeze. When I puree meat, I make sure I add enough water or broth depending on what flavor of meat it is before blending to make it as smooth as possible because Alex gags on any chunk bigger than a pin head. I never add the same amount, I just add a little bit at a time, blend it and see how smooth it is, if its not smooth enough, I add more.
Alex probably eats food that is equal to stage 2, or between 1 and 2.
This is what is in my freezer right now. Peas, Carrots, pears, blueberries, sausage, ham and green beans, squash, taco meat and beans.




This morning I made apples for him to eat. Cut and peel the apple. Soften it however you prefer, I just add apple juice, cover with a paper towel, and microwave it for 3-5 minutes depending on the fruit or veggie. I always use the excess water once it is softened to keep any nutrients that cooked out into the water or juice.






This is the blender I use most of the time, but the magic bullet comes with a selection on blades.








From start to finish it took me under 10 minutes.







Put in ice tray, and freeze.






Once frozen put in a freezer bag, and add to your selection!
DISCLAIMER:
It was recommended to me not to ever put the pureed food down his g-tube, by the GI, nutritionist, and ST. So I too recommend that no one does this.
I have clogged his tube twice trying to put meat down it, no matter how thin I get the meat, it wont go down the tube, even with lots of water. I do have success with pureed carrots, apples, pears, and squash, and I do add these to his milk if he doesn't finish them by mouth. Green beans, blueberries, and peas can also clog. So again, I recommend that you don't put food down the g-tube.



5 comments:

Tori said...

I love reading about little Alex's accomplishments! I don't know if you have a crockpot, but I crockpot almost all of my son's food (if it's not something I'm just pureeing from what we're having). It's so easy. Just throw in any veggie, meat, or fruit (or any combo) with a little water, and cook on low for 6-8 hours, then go about your day. They end up so soft, you it's SOOO easy to blend or puree, and you keep all the nutrients that you would lose from boiling. And if the day comes that Alex is ready to try to eat finger foods, you can chop raw veggies or meats into bite sized pieces, then throw them in the crock. Perfectly cooked, and couldn't be easier!

Connie said...

Uh-oh. Alex's nutritionist would hate me. I put food in Mallorie's g-tube all the time - luckily, so far, without problems! (Well, no g-tube clog problems ... can't promise she hasn't had problems with some of the foods we've tried, like fresh blueberries!) Of course, the only meats I've tried have been the ultra-pureed (and probably no-nutrition) commercial baby food meats, and although I have a cool book that assures me you can do meats by tube, I'm too chicken (no pun intended) to try that, yet.

I came to the decision to try feeding real foods by tube, because I think it'll be a LONG process getting Mallorie eating well by mouth. I just didn't want her deprived of a "normal" diet just because she can't take much by mouth. I know everyone doesn't agree with the decision, but the professionals who count seem comfortable. If I thought she could easily and quickly move to oral feedings like Alex is, though, I'm sure I'd never have gone in this direction. I will not say, though, that your report of clogged tubes doesn't make me nervous!!

What I have NOT done, is tried to prepare foods the way you have done. I still use the commercial baby foods, which are really, really pureed, or we puree the chunky ones. I am so grateful for this post; you make it look easy. You know that I always learn from you!

Laurie said...

Wow, move over Rachel Ray. Alex has his own cook preparing him meals in under 10 minutes!!! You are such a great mom Jessica. Look at the colors in the freezer bags. My daughter in law does this for my grandkids too, until they can eat it naturally on their own. This is so healthy for Alex and the flavors stay the best. He is doing so great these days and I am praying it continues for you. May your days be blessed.

Love, Laurie in Ca.

Connie said...

I am cracking myself up here, Jessica. I just re-read and re-read your last 2 paragraphs until I understood. Repeat after me, DON'T put food down the g-tube.

And, "I do add these to his milk ...."

And the hint: "DISCLAIMER." I read sometimes, way too fast.

Oh, the weight of the responsibility you carry.

Your freezer is so beautiful to peer into. I love the colors, too.

Cathy said...

Ok, Is there anyone who wanted to vote SUPER MOM???? You are such a great mommy.