Monday, September 29, 2008

nightmares from the table




So things should be going great. We are eating more pureed foods, our skills are progressing nicely, this should be a step forward........


Since he has been eating more food, his poop has gotten thicker, it isn't hard like a "constipated poop", for a nice visual I will say it is like peanut butter consistency, but I'm guessing since he is a bit low toned it is thick enough to make it hard to poop. So suddenly for the first time in a year we are starting to deal with poop issues. Very common with RTS, new to us. What do you do when the poop isn't hard, do you use miralax even though it is soft, or just load them up with prune juice and give him the runs.


So that is our first issue.


Reflux is the next issue, he was doing great for a while, then this weekend he started not only refluxing but throwing up too! Maybe its because he is backed up a little from the lack of pooping. I hate reflux it controls our lives, where we go, when we go, how long we can be there. Sleeping. It controls everything. If Alex didn't reflux, wow, what a dream that would be!


So things were going good for a bit, but like always have gotten tough. Nightmare!

8 comments:

Our Journey said...

welcome to the world of constipation!! its no joke!! frankie doesnt have the "traditional" constipation either.. always nice and soft, but he cant pass it.. we have been using miralax for a while because of this but now he goes a tiny tiny bit every few hours, never "letting it all out!" we just ordered some fruit eze last night, i heard it works well.. will let you know!!

god bless you on the reflux! i know how much of a nightmare that is, it ruled our world for 11 months!

Rebekah said...

Hiya! My son Ricky (12) has cystic fibrosis, and as you may or may not know CF includes complications of the digestive tract... Yes, Ricky is super constipated. On a daily basis he takes a total of 3x the usual Miralax dosage. I have to say that Miralax has been a miracle for Ricky and I highly recommend it. In our experience, prune juice, apple juice, etc. have not been as successful.

Ricky's poops range from bulky and hard to that peanut buttery consistency you're talking about. (Sorry for all of the poop talk!) And the Miralax does wonders. We mix it in apple juice.

Good luck and feel free to contact me with any questions. :)

Steve & Marie Douglas said...

I'll be praying more specific!

Kelly said...

We are going to the doctor next week and I am going to get to the bottom (he-he) of this Miralax thing. It is a life saver in our house...but now I am scared of long term use.

Reflux sucks...it is the only way to put it. Now that really will get better. AnnKate still takes lots of Prevacid but we don't have any real issues.

Stomach virus at our house....bring me some soup....

Kelly

Kristi said...

I know about the constipation.. Noah uses Fruit-eze and flax seeds works great. I remember the reflux and I feel for you.. Err

Cathy said...

I am so sorry you are going through this. I say try the prunes first. We have been on Miralax so long I can remember ever being off. Annabel's has to stay just on this side of diahrea or it will back up. That is when she gags and wretches the most. Boy girl, I am praying for ya'll. Please keep us posted.

Jenna said...

We have been using Miralax for 2 years now. I have had it with Miralax, either we have constipation or the runs no in between. I did a total diet change and we havent had miralax in 5 days!!!!And the poops are some what normal. We are doing no dairy, no wheat, no fillers.
Jenna

Cindy said...

I would agree that the throw up might be because he's backing up the other end. His poop doesn't sound too firm for a baby, but if it's more than he's used to, he might need it a little softer until he gets used to passing firmer stuff. It's a balancing act...not too soft, but not too firm. Natalie had the same issue and gradually became able to pass firmer and firmer stools.

That's wonderful that he's eating more! And enjoying it!