Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Alex Pruitt day of life: 6 "as said in the NICU."



This was taken when Alex was 6 days old (Sep 13, 2007), he had just come off of the oscillator, and put on the vent. He was also taken off the medications that were keeping him sedated so he was starting to open his eyes, and look around. This also meant that he could cry, when a baby cries on a vent it is silent, and hard to watch. The first time I left him in St.Louis to come home and visit my older boys I started talking to him and telling him that I was leaving, and he started to silently cry, that did not help me leave. I left in tears. I still had not held him, and would be another 8 days before I would. Because he had pulmonary hypertension, any handling could have made it worse, so he was a minimally handled baby for two weeks.


The alarm you hear in the background is his vent alarm, I would hear that noise in my head when I would come home. Since I was able to sleep in Alex's NICU room I heard vent alarms, and monitor alarms around the clock. They say there is such a thing as NICU psychosis, I believe I was there.


I wish that we had taken more video of him in the NICU, but at the time I did not want to remember any of it, so this is all we have.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

Hi Jessica,

I found myself holding my breath as I watched this video. He is such a beautiful little boy, and his eyes looking around and at you, just precious and trusting. I am praying for his progress to continue to amaze and bless you daily. Asking the Lord to give you renewed strength for each new day with him. As you have expressed many times in your entries, this "new normal" is not an easy road and has many ups and downs, but I am so thankful you have him with you. And he is so blessed to have you for his mommy. Thank you for sharing this little miracle with us.

Love, Laurie in Ca.

Michelle said...

Wow, you'd never know he was a sick baby! He looks a bit like Austin as a baby. I'm glad those times are in the past now and you've got a healthy little (or should I say big? LOL)Alex at home to care for.

Kenzie Stanfield said...

Jessica-

Thanks for letting us see a little glimpse of Alex before he was able to be around. I totally agree with Laurie... those eyes so alert and trusting! You can tell he's trying to figure everything out, even at 6 days old. You have such a brave boy, and you are such a brave mommy. I know that putting on the strong face sometimes isn't easy, but just to hear your voice, so calm and reassuring to him. Just precious. I know you didn't want to remember any of this time, but I'm so glad now that you can look back and see how far you've come!

Love you lots,
Kenzie

Kenzie Stanfield said...

Sorry... didn't make much sense huh? Before he was able to be HOME! Love ya!

Tena said...

Oh he is so gorgeous!! I love watching him look around.